Friday, March 16, 2012

The Hunger Games



   In Reading Seminar, we recently worked on an "author study" project. I was teamed up with my best friend since first grade, and we were assigned the highly popular young adult author Wendy Mass. On her website, she had a link to a bunch of pictures of her with her "author pals". I scrolled down and found a picture of Mass with Suzanne Collins (posted in 2008). The caption said, "Suzanne Collins, author of a little-known book, The Hunger Games." I laughed my head off.
   Seriously, this is a fantastic series. It has been the top choice for reading material in my school for two years running. And that's really saying something, as most of the people who go to my school aren't exactly big readers, and all have about the average attention span of a puppy.
 

   The movie is coming out exactly a week from today, and fans all over America are eagerly-correction; rabidly awaiting its advent. In fact, statistics show that it is the most anticipated motion picture since the Twilight saga. And no wonder. What is there not to love? Romance, glamor, action-it's all there, and then some. People are forming teams, much like with Twilight: Team Peeta is to Team Edward as Team Gale is to Team Jacob. I say, forget the sparkly vampire and shirtless werewolf. Who really cares about them, anyway?
   One of my best friends  is OBSESSED with The Hunger Games. He brought a bunch of in-depth magazines about the movie to school a week ago, and everyone was clamoring to read them. I got to look them over, and you would not believe how over-the-top some of the characters are.
   I could go on and on about the prep work the actors had to go through, the filming process, who is perfect for their character and why, etc., etc., but I think I'll spare you the particular pain of having to listen to/read my fan-crazed ravings. Hope to see you in the theater!

                                                              

3 comments:

  1. Less than a week to go! I know how scary it can be when a beloved book is made into a movie, so I hope it doesn't disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I will need to battle to the death with your friends for the privilege of taking you to the movie ;-) On the other hand, there's always IMAX after the opening weekend madness abates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they'll be happy to share...I look forward to it!

      Delete